Saturday, April 21, 2018

The evenings in San Miguel

I’ve been here a week and I wish I were here a month... both my Spanish and my soul would appreciate staying a bit longer.  My days have been filled with Spanish classes in the morning, strolling around town in the afternoon, making tamales, learning to make enchiladas, working on my pronunciation along Mexican songs and taking siestas!


I went out a few times in the evening this week and it always felt safe and pleasant after the hotter afternoons.  The first time, it was just across the street to the bibliotheca for a concert of gitane guitar.   The building has some beautiful frescas (pictures not allowed) and we sat in a small room for a very personable recital.

Another night, Frank, one of my fellow student, invited all of the students to attend a cocktail party in his gorgeous home. His wife Graciella is a wonderful cook and prepared some delicious appetizers for us to enjoy. They live in the Balcones, above the town of San Miguel.   It was a fun evening with great people and a sprawling view of San Miguel in a setting out of a magazine!  Thank you Frank and Graciela!


On Friday night, Rowan, my housemate, and I went to el Jardin in front of the Parroquia.  It’s a very busy and animated place most days of the week and especially on Friday and Saturday nights.  We were able to witness at least 6 pre-weddings ceremonies!  Usually small groups of people help the bride and groom get ready for their special day. It’s a celebration in itself. There are always a donkey, some mariachis, two puppets representing the bride and groom and of course, tequila.  People dance and parade through the streets starting at the park.

In between celebrations, the Ballet Folklorico gave a show with colorful and traditional dances.

I look forward to one more night in this warm and inviting city...










No comments:

Post a Comment