Monday, May 28, 2018

The Amazon








Let me just start by saying that Peru is an outstanding and gorgeous country.  The last two weeks have been like a dream.  I’ve been to the mountains and the jungle.  It’s hard to explain the feeling from being here.  The culture, the scenery and the people are just amazing.  I just got back from the amazon and it was really beautiful and humbling.  So different from the mountains and the sacred valley.  The jungle covers 60% of the country and as soon as I landed I could smell the green and the humidity.  I really felt like a visitor in its kingdom.  There are things happening everywhere all the time and even with a guide, I only saw a little piece of it but I saw a lot!   It was a wonderful experience.  Charlie from Green House Tambopata planned my whole trip and made sure that I was well taken care of.  Here are some things that I got to do this week: 

  • I ate many types of citrus, fresh cocoa beans, other fruits I can’t even recall and termites
  • I zip lined, walked onto a 6-inch plank for 70 meters above 30 meters off the ground and climbed onto a canopy in the trees
  • I floated onto two rivers (Madre de Dios and Tambopata) and one lake (Sandoval)
  • I walked in the jungle at night and saw many bugs, snakes, spiders and monkeys
  • I danced lambada to the moonlight
  • I talked to the monkeys at night
  • I made new friends from France, Australia and Peru
  • I swam in the lake next to the butterflies
  • I saw caymans, turtles, butterflies, squirrels, birds, giant guinea pig-looking animals and giant rats too, tapir and lizards
  • The sounds of the jungle at night are out of this world and the mornings are foggy and gorgeous on the river
  • I got hit on by so many short Peruvian men, it is kind of funny..
  • I rode on a scooter twice
  • I drank chicha fuerte (corn cider)
  • I took cold showers the whole week
  • I never watched tv and checked the internet only once as I was in town for a couple of hours
  • At sunset, the mosquitos are out and they bit me even though I had protection.  I got bit by an ant too and I’m sure other bugs I don’t even know
  • I drank crappy Peruvian wine by the river and enjoyed every bit of it
  • I swung in a hammock a couple times, resting and thinking how lucky I am


So go visit Charlie, he will take good take of you.  Stay for a while, it is rustic but you will be safe and blown away.   Make sure to stay for the night or get up early and listen to the jungle.  It makes you feel so small and it is fascinating!!










2 comments:

  1. Wonderful pics Caroline! I particularly love the one of the turtle with the butterfly resting on it's head like he's wearing a bow. Glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyyy it’s Thea from Canada! Awesome blog! I see I am managed to get into on of your photos!!! Glad you as an awesome time :) xo

    ReplyDelete