Wednesday, May 16, 2018

You say potato, Peru says papas...

... and a lot of different ones too! As well as tons of different maizes.  On Wednesday, in Urubamba where I am staying, they have a huge farmers market.  As in farmers come to town to sell their goods.  I had a blast walking around and looking at all the varietals of tubers, vegetables, fruits, spices, cheeses,...


Close by they had also a couple of other “mercados” I walked through.  It was a great morning!


As a side note, there are tons of dogs hanging out everywhere...


From there, I took a walk to the cemetery and then proceeded to get lost for a bit and it was lovely...



I took a moto-taxi back to town to have a delicious lunch at Tres Ketos.  Some sort of Peruvian jambalaya with duck.  A glass of Malbec from Peru was the perfect match.

Early in the afternoon, my host arranged for a taxi to pick me up and take me up on the other side of the valley to visit Moray and Salineras de Maras.  The first one is an Inca archeological site displaying how they used to farm.  Actually the entire area around there is still farming land.  It is just gorgeous with the Andes in the background.  Then we went to salt ponds.  There is a natural salt water spring that the families in the area have been cultiviting forever.  The pictures really don’t do them justice.  The white salt ponds against the red clay hills dotted with greenery is just breathtaking.




On the way back, to top it all off,  I even got gifted a beautiful rainbow!  As I am typing this right now, I saw fireworks outside and I’m hearing some drums and music playing.  Actually the music happens every night but I still don’t know what it is...Peru is something else...



No comments:

Post a Comment