Tuesday, May 15, 2018

From Lima to the Sacred Valley

After a 5-hour flight, I landed safely in Lima.  I like how when the plane touches the ground everyone applauds... we made it.  My hostess from Airbnb arranged for me to be picked up and Tito the driver was there ready to take me to Miraflores.  It is a nice a safe neighborhood and I stayed in a beautiful apartment overlooking the ocean.

The following day, I walked along the path to the Lacomar mall.  From there I jumped on a tour bus to get a feel of the city.  It is big!  And there are a lot of tall buildings.  We stopped at the historic center and were able to enjoy the colonial architecture as well as touring the San Francisco museum.  It is an old convent and also has a gorgeous church and catacombs.

After the tour, I walked to the Barranco district.  It was worth the long walk and I also visited the San Pedro museum.  I took a taxi to the other side of town to explore the Larco museum and have dinner under the gigantic bougainvillea.  I highly recommend the latest if you are interested in Peruvian and Inca ceramics.

Yesterday, I got on a plane to Cusco and I was supposed to be picked up by my host in Urubamba.  Unfortunately the poor old man got confused and forgot about me...  So I found Mauro who drove me down the valley.  We made a couple stops to eat and check out some small shop where they made textiles.  They also sell you things that they claim are made of alpaca but it is more synthetic....  I got tricked but now I know how to tell.  It ended up being a great little afternoon and when I finally made it to my small lodge, my host cooked me a delicious vegetable soup made with his homegrown harvest. I slept like a baby.

This morning, I took a motor taxi and a collectivo to Pisac.  I got to check out the market there and then hire a taxi to take me to the ruins.  I made it back to Urubamba and now I am exhausted!!  The altitude is getting to me too even though I keep on drinking coca mate and took some meds recommended by Tito.  I think I just need to eat and go to bed...




No comments:

Post a Comment