Wednesday, September 23, 2020

L'Aveyron

 


Numero 12!  Every department has one..  and this one also has cheese (Roquefort), natural park (Causses) and then castles and medieval towns.  At least that's the little bit I got to see today of this beautiful part of France.  Sprinkled with some light rain and surrounded by rolling green hills.

I was so close to Roquefort-sur-Soulzon that I had to backtrack a bit and at least visit a couple of the makers of the worldwide known cheese.  I went to the original artisan cheesemaker, Le Vieux Berger and saw their working labatory (no pictures allowed).  Then went on to Gabriel Coulet for another visit and tasting.  Walked by the more famous Roquefort Societe and Papillon (the one we eat at home).  They are all here and well, they have to.  This is like Champagne...  You get the appelation when the milk comes from this special sheep that lives in a specific area and that the cheese is stored in the special cave of Roquefort. The town is small and stern but worth a visit for what its history and what it represents.  They take their cheeses seriously.




I went on for a quick stop at Saint-Affrique to see its beautiful gothique church by the river.



Then on I went to Severac-Le-Chateau.  Gorgeous medieval town and castle perched
on a hill.  Too bad it was raining cause the views would have been breath-taking. But the old castle, the unexpected visitor and the many meandering stone-streets made up for the wet weather.


Right after Severac, I spare you the details on my camera having a moment and breaking down just I reached the town of La Canourgue that I spotted from the highway.  St Saturnin made me do it!  Seeing the beautiful towers of this old castle down in the valley, I had to stop and explore some more... Good thing I had my phone.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment