Friday, June 15, 2018

Back to my roots...

In the morning of June 13th, I finally got home to Antibes after a whirlwind trip south of the border of California.  I have been back now for 3 days and it's taking a bit of an adjustment but I think I am going to be okay...  It actually feels good.  It feels like home.  I am off the fast track and enjoying the slow lane...

I've moved in with my mom and my uncle in the house I grew up.  There's enough room for all of us and they could use a hand.  My mom does too much anyway and she needs a break.  She just has to learn to let go and let me do a few things...  It's different for all of us but we are starting to figure it out and I am glad to report we are doing great.  They love having me around and I love being here.  

I haven't made it past a mile from the house yet.  I am still adjusting and getting settled here.  It's gonna take a while... I look forward to exploring Antibes and surrounding areas and I promise to share my new adventures.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying spending time with mom and my uncle and soon the rest of the family, playing house in this beautiful home, watching the sun rise, enjoying long days, going to the beach, eating cheeses and charcuterie, reconnecting with old friends and figuring out how french people function!  And I'm even starting to cook again!  So this blog might come back to its original purpose a bit more.  Here is a start.  A simple lunch mom and I put together today.  

It was a "daurade" or sea bream baked with some tomatoes a bit of white wine, olive oil, whole unpeeled garlic cloves, Herbes de Provence, lemon slices and shallots.  Salt and pepper of course and the fish had some parsley, thyme and bay leaf inside.  We baked it at 400ºF for about 35 minutes.  I sauteed some Belgian endives in butter and olive oil with a bit of sugar, salt and pepper, covered, for about 5 minutes on each side.  We made some rice and voila!  It was absolutely delicious!!  It's good to be home... 

Before and after picture of the fish

Lunch on the French Riviera...

3 comments:

  1. good to hear that the "rentree" was easier than expected... it will be just fine... we live well here in Europe... from someone who moved there and returned... twice... :-)... a big hug !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caro,
    Missing you!!!!!!!! Do you have a phone number? Can we skype?

    ReplyDelete