Thursday, March 25, 2021

Red Dahl Soup a la Steve



Steve and I have known each other from our days at Williams-Sonoma.  We've shared many food talks over the years but the last one was pretty good. We hadn't talked in almost 3 years and he told me again about his fantastic red lentil soup recipe.  And again, I didn't write it down..  Well, I didn't even write it down when I finally made it!!  But basically, it is one of the best 5 recipes Steve has shared with me in the last 25 years we've known each other.

So from I can remember from making it 2 weeks ago, here is the recipe.  I still have some in the freezer.  Can't wait.  Thank you Steve.  You rock.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped cauliflower 
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped Swiss chard stems
5 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon mild curry powder
1/2 teaspoon each garam masala, cumin, coriander and turmeric
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
2 cups corail lentils ( red lentils), rinsed and drained
1 can coconut milk
1 can chopped tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup golden raisins
6 to 8 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chopped Swiss chard leaves

In a large 8-quart stockpot, heat the oil and add the chopped vegetables.  Cook over medium heat until soft and lightly browned.  Add the spices and salt and stir well, cooking for a couple minutes.  Add the lentils, coconut milk, tomatoes, raisins and broth and cook for 20 minutes or until all is soft.  Add the chard leaves and cook for 5 more minutes.  Adjust seasonings.


No comments:

Post a Comment